How else can we be expected to hold it together while remembering to bring the nut-free-egg-free-dairy-free snack for preschool, return the overdue library books, arrive on-time to soccer, make that almost-homemade dinner, color our roots every 6 weeks, and use that gym membership that we've been paying for?! Oh, and do this all on less than 6 hours of sleep a night and often with a chorus of whining and screaming in the background, why don't you?

Packed with little tips, deals, fun bits, faves, and stories, I hope that you find this blog both helpful and encouraging.

I can't promise that these things will make being a mom easier, but I hope these posts give you a few shortcuts or "AHA!" ideas that allow you to take a few extra minutes for yourself because... Mama Needs Maintenance.

Friday, September 17, 2010

Villain-less Kids Movies


As a gal in her 30’s (I see no need to be specific here), I have fond memories of Disney movies. I still remember watching Beauty and the Beast at sleepovers with my little gal pals and memorizing every song on the The Little Mermaid soundtrack. I guess that’s why I was surprised to realize as an adult that most of these Disney movies aren’t as kid-friendly as I had remembered. At least not for the pre-elementary crowd. So what on earth does a mom, who is finally over the guilt of using the TV to get an undisturbed chunk of time, to do?! Let’s face it, most of us don’t put the movie on and then curl up with a book and a glass of wine (not judging, if you do…) . Most of us use movies as a rare treat for the kids in order to buy a little peace and quiet at the end of a busy day.


Since giant tentacles, daddy-murdering lions, poisoning witches, and castle-storming angry mobs aren’t a big hit in our household, I’ve been on the search for some “not scary” movies and here’s a short list of a some that work well for us. These movies might have their moments, but for the most part, they lack villain-type characters.



  • - Toy Story 1 & 2
  • - Finding Nemo
  • - Cars
  • - Madagascar
  • - Curious George
  • - Space Buddies

* When in doubt, it doesn’t hurt to go old-school, either.



  • - Otis & Milo
  • - Mary Poppins
  • - Incredible Journey

1 comment:

  1. I always think about this too .... thanks for sharing some great movie ideas! AND congrats on starting your blog! :) -Deann

    ReplyDelete