How else can we be expected to hold it together while remembering to bring the nut-free-egg-free-dairy-free snack for preschool, return the overdue library books, arrive on-time to soccer, make that almost-homemade dinner, color our roots every 6 weeks, and use that gym membership that we've been paying for?! Oh, and do this all on less than 6 hours of sleep a night and often with a chorus of whining and screaming in the background, why don't you?

Packed with little tips, deals, fun bits, faves, and stories, I hope that you find this blog both helpful and encouraging.

I can't promise that these things will make being a mom easier, but I hope these posts give you a few shortcuts or "AHA!" ideas that allow you to take a few extra minutes for yourself because... Mama Needs Maintenance.

Friday, October 8, 2010

Blankets that Rise to the Top of the Stack

In my experience, baby showers seem to come in waves.  I’ve only had a couple to attend over the past few years, but the wave has started up again!  Since many of these babies are 2nd-borns or coming into the world without a 14-page Babies I Us registry, I find myself needing to be a little more creative in my gift-giving these days. 

When my daughter was born, I must have received at least 20 blankets.  In the end, however, I really only used a few favorites.  My favorite blanket was a cozy, hand made stroller blanket.  It was warm enough to keep my daughter warm when she was in the stroller, thick and cushy enough to provide padding when she was learning to sit and toppled over, and constructed to endure the test of time and countless washings. 

BLANKIE4Given my appreciation for soft goods, you can imagine how excited I was when my friend, Elise Hooper, started designing and making these fabulous blankets.  They’re whimsically personalized and made with adorable mod, plushy fabrics.  Elise is flexible enough to mix almost any of her patterns and colors to create a IMG_1304truly one-of-a-kind blanket that is sure to rise to the top of the stack.  Priced around $50 for a stroller blanket and  $25 for a lovey blankie, they’re both cuter and better value than any item you’d snag from Pottery Barn Kids or Land of Nod.  Although she sews these up in West Seattle, she can easily ship anywhere so long as you allow for the 2 week turn around custom construction time. 

 

BLANKIE2

BLANKIE5IMG_1305

Check our more of her designs and items on her Etsy site:

Elise Hooper DesignsBLANKIE WRAP

No comments:

Post a Comment